Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What are keywords and how do I generate them?
Keywords are the search terms that you type into the search box(s) in an online database or search engine.
- Look at the research question, underline the important words or phrases. These are keywords.
- Brainstorm what you already know about the topic:
- Is there accepted (expert) terminology for the topic?
- Are there any synonyms for the topic? (Use a thesaurus)
- Are there any specific words or technical terminology for the topic?
- Are there other common words for the topic?
- Look in an encyclopedia index or in the index of a book about the topic to find more keywords.
Search using combinations of keywords by using Boolean operators.
How do I find keywords for my research?
Keywords and Boolean Operators